Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag has reaffirmed that the club are looking for the right striker in the current transfer window.
The Red Devils had a perfect record in their pre-season campaign until their 2-0 defeat to Real Madrid in the United States earlier today.
Speaking after the friendly, Ten Hag acknowledged that the result shows why the club are in the market for a new centre-forward.
The Dutch tactician did not mention any names, but said that United are busy in the pursuit of the right player to sign a contract.
He told Manutd.com: “Absolutely [the game shows why we are in the market for a new forward]. It’s always difficult to say. We are working 24-7.”
“We do and everyone, well not everyone, but a lot in the club, and we give all the power to get this done.
“We never talk about players under contract with another club, so we have our targets in the background. We are busy with it to get the right player to sign a contract for us.”
Ten Hag eager to bring Rasmus Hojlund
Ten Hag is clearly interested in signing Rasmus Hojlund from Atalanta, and it was confirmed yesterday that a verbal offer was made.
The Red Devils proposed to pay €50 million up front with a further €10m in add-ons, but the Serie A outfit are eyeing at least €70m.
There is currently a difference in the valuations between the clubs, but United should be optimistic of striking an agreement soon.
Hojlund has already agreed personal terms over a long-term contract. He is ready to snub a big contract offer from Paris Saint-Germain.
The youngster is doing everything in his power to secure a transfer, and the onus is now on United to make an improved proposal.
Atalanta recently reached an agreement in principle to sign Almeria’s El Bilal Traore. This is a huge hint that they are bracing for Hojlund’s exit.
- Newcastle 1-0 Manchester United: Player ratings as awful displays from Rashford and Martial put pressure on Ten Hag
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Newcastle, 4 changes
- ‘He has to play’: Erik ten Hag confirms Man Utd midfielder could leave in January
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Newcastle, Mainoo returns
- Serhou Guirassy flattered by Man Utd interest
- Erik ten Hag confirms Mason Mount will return to training today
- Stats show the real culprits in Manchester United’s dismal performances this season
- Man Utd very interested in signing Antonio Silva, attentive to his performances
- Man Utd showing interest in signing Serhou Guirassy
- Man Utd in very advanced talks to sign Genoa star Radu Dragusin