Manchester United have the upper hand in the race to sign Atalanta striker Rasmus Hojlund this summer, according to Gazzetta dello Sport (page 20).
The Red Devils are targeting a new striker in the upcoming transfer window, and it has recently been reported that Hojlund is on the club’s radar.
Gazzetta dello Sport now reveal that Atalanta are open to parting ways with the 20-year-old if they receive a ‘big offer’ in the region of £51 million.
The publication add that it would be ‘disrespectful’ for the Serie A outfit to reject such a proposal, considering they bought him for only £17m.
A number of European clubs are interested in the Danish sensation, but it is reported that United are ‘above all’ in the pursuit to land his services.
Hojlund would be a superb long-term signing
The Denmark international is currently a raw talent, but has plenty of potential in him.
He is a left-footed striker with plenty of pace, and has a strong physical and aerial presence. Hojlund has also impressed with his link-up play as well as his finishing in the box.
His attributes have led to comparisons with Manchester City’s Erling Braut Haaland. He is nowhere near the Norwegian’s ability, but has the traits to develop in a similar fashion.
Erik ten Hag built his reputation at Ajax by developing young graduates into top-class players, and he could transform Hojlund into a potent goalscorer in a couple of seasons.
Hojlund scored 16 goals and provided seven assists during the 2022/23 season. Out of the 23 goal contributions, 14 came with Atalanta. He joined them from Sturm Graz in late August.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- 3 goals in last 4 meetings – Man Utd must be wary of Wilfried Zaha threat on Tuesday
- Barcelona manager Xavi picks Marcus Rashford as one of the most difficult players to stop
- Man Utd suffer big blow with Lisandro Martinez requiring fresh metatarsal surgery
- Man Utd interested in Bayern Munich centre-back Matthijs de Ligt
- Alejandro Garnacho should start against Galatasaray in the Champions League
- Erik ten Hag speaks on Marcus Rashford’s form after Crystal Palace loss
- Manchester United 0-1 Crystal Palace: Player ratings as the Red Devils suffer second successive Old Trafford loss in Premier League
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund starts
- Lisandro Martinez may require second foot surgery, could be out until December
- Antony pictured arriving at Carrington after Man United approved return