Manchester United right-back Aaron Wan-Bissaka has requested a new long-term contract following the club’s decision to block recent inquiries, The Sun reports.
The 24-year-old had been an assured starter for the Red Devils over the past two campaigns, but his situation has changed since interim boss Ralf Rangnick took charge in December 2021.
The German tactician has picked Diogo Dalot over him due to the better attacking attributes, and it has been reported that incoming manager Erik ten Hag may prefer to do the same.
Wan-Bissaka’s future at United has become uncertain as a result, but the hierarchy have recently blocked inquiries for him as they await the final decision from Ten Hag this summer.
The defender’s current deal expires in two years’ time, but he has now requested a renewal amid the club’s reluctance to listen to offers. Ten Hag will have the final say over his future.
Wan-Bissaka seemed indispensable from the United line-up at one point of time, having built his reputation on winning one-on-one challenges with his excellent tackling skills.
However, there has been a dip in his performances this season. The £27 million-rated star has been dispossessed more often (14 times per game, compared to last season’s 12.5).
On top of this, his limited attacking prowess has hampered him. Dalot has proved the perfect fit for Rangnick with his more progressive passing and overlapping runs.
The Portuguese has looked defensively vulnerable, but has been dispossessed less often than Wan-Bissaka while making a similar number of tackles per game (2.3 to 2.6).
With the lack of goal contributions from either player, Ten Hag may want another attacking right-back in the squad. The club are eyeing a summer deal for Nordi Mukiele.
If the Frenchman arrives, there are more chances of Wan-Bissaka leaving over Dalot. Ten Hag has decided to keep the latter in his squad for his debut managerial season at United.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and SofaScore.com
- Man Utd confirm long-term deal for Zidane Iqbal, Fernandez and Garnacho assigned new squad numbers
- Man United goalkeeper Nathan Bishop closing in on Wycombe Wanderers loan move
- Manchester United join race for Marco Asensio as Ajax put 80m price tag on Antony
- Man Utd to make transfer offer for Denzel Dumfries
- Frenkie de Jong open to joining Man Utd as they near agreement with Barcelona
- Man Utd may need to spend £130m to land Antony and Lisandro Martinez
- Cristiano Ronaldo and Harry Maguire were involved in captaincy dispute
- Man Utd ready to battle Chelsea for Matthijs de Ligt
- Man Utd aim to seal Frenkie de Jong deal before Thursday
- Man Utd’s pre-season starts: Erik ten Hag’s demands, returning players and De Jong latest