Manchester United defender Aaron Wan-Bissaka may have saved his club career until the summer following a splendid display against Burnley in the Carabao Cup fourth round.
The right-back has been out-of-favour under manager Erik ten Hag this season, and he had played just four minutes of competitive football before yesterday’s start against the Clarets.
The 25-year-old managed to make most of the opportunity with a superb all-round performance.
United opened the scoring through Christian Eriksen in the 27th minute and it was largely due to Wan-Bissaka, who delivered a perfect assist on the stretch from the right flank.
Marcus Rashford doubled the Red Devils’ lead in the 57th minute with a stunning solo goal.
The United graduate has definitely grabbed the headlines after his stellar effort, but Wan-Bissaka deserves special praise, having impressed in his first start of the campaign.
Aside from his assist, he won nine out of his 10 duels alongside three tackles and two dribbles. He completed 30 passes last night with eight of those being in the opposition half.
There is still room for improvement in his gameplay in the final third. The 25-year-old did not register a single cross yesterday while losing possession on as many as 10 occasions.
However, the performance should provide him huge confidence going forward. With Diogo Dalot nursing a minor hamstring injury, Wan-Bissaka could get a regular run of games.
Furthermore, he could save his United career until at least the summer. Ten Hag may re-consider the option of loaning him out next month on the back of yesterday’s showing.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and SofaScore.com
- Louis Saha backs Man Utd to sign Harry Kane and win the Premier League
- Manchester United vs Leeds United: Premier League preview, team news & predicted starting XI
- Man Utd have identified Victor Osimhen as target with Harry Kane deal unlikely
- Man Utd made £100m bid for Declan Rice last summer, West Ham set fresh asking price
- Man Utd very attentive over Yannick Carrasco’s situation at Atletico Madrid
- Man Utd in advanced contract talks with Diogo Dalot amid Barcelona interest
- Could Kobbie Mainoo make his league debut for Manchester United in the absence of star midfielders?
- Man Utd’s transfer priority is clear after fresh Anthony Martial injury blow
- Man Utd handed early Europa League boost with two key Barcelona stars injured
- Erik ten Hag has easy midfield decision vs Leeds United with four players out