Scotland’s hopes of advancing to the next round of Euro 2020 were dashed after their 3-1 loss to Croatia yesterday.
They finished the group stage in last spot after collecting just one point.
They started the tournament poorly after suffering a humiliating 2-0 defeat to Czech Republic.
England were favourites to beat them but their courageous display helped them carve out a point.
Scotland have a fine team with many talented players like Andy Robertson, Kieran Tierney, John McGinn, Billy Gilmour and Scott McTominay.
They needed a win against Croatia but failed miserably as they bowed out of the tournament.
Manchester United midfielder McTominay didn’t make any errors but also struggled to inspire his side.
He was solid for Scotland in their opening game, shoring up the midfield and helping his team remain compact.
However, he failed to make driving runs from the deep which he is known for with the Red Devils.
Against England, he played as the right-sided centre-back and acquitted himself well in that unfamiliar position.
His presence helped Scotland counter the threat possessed by Raheem Sterling.
It was expected that Steve Clarke would reinstate McTominay in midfield against Croatia after Billy Gilmour was tested positive for COVID-19.
But the 24-year old started alongside Grant Hanley and Tierney in the three-man defence.
He failed to impose his presence but the loss was more attributable to the collective failure of the entire team than any individual.
Overall, it was a below-par tournament for the United academy product.
United fans will be expecting him to re-energise himself before their first preseason game against Derby County on July 18.
- Erik ten Hag gives his backing to Man Utd captain Harry Maguire
- Van de Beek’s former agent blasts Man Utd over unfair treatment of the midfielder
- Manchester United team news: Erik ten Hag gives fitness updates on three key players
- Marcus Rashford wins Premier League Player of the Month for September
- Manchester United vs West Ham United – October 30 – New Kick-off Time
- Manchester City vs Manchester United Preview – Prediction, Potential Line-ups & How to Watch
- David De Gea to hold talks with Erik ten Hag as his Man United future hangs in balance
- Pogba admits he fell short of expectations at Manchester United
- Rashford and Martial doubtful for Manchester derby after missing training
- Roberto Carlos names two current Man United players he would like to play with