With the 2017-18 Premier League season drawing to a close Manchester United are already lining up their options for the summer, and subsequently we’re being linked to new signings left, right and centre.
Jose Mourinho is widely-expected to be in the market for a new centre-back during the next transfer window as last summer’s big signing, Victor Lindelof, hasn’t worked out. On top of that, the boss doesn’t appear to be keen on either Phil Jones or Chris Smalling being long-term fixtures in our starting XI.
The latest centre-back to be linked with a move to Old Trafford is RB Leipzig’s Dayot Upamecano. The 19-year-old was signed by the Bundesliga side in January 2017, playing in the majority of games for the second half of the 2016-17 season and has been a regular this season too, despite his age.
With his excellent performances in the German top flight and making five appearances in both the Champions League and Europa League this season, Upamecano’s stock has risen.
Earlier this month, the teenage defender was linked with a move to Barcelona, according to Spanish outlet AS, which went as far as reporting that the runaway La Liga leaders were prepared to pay as much as €100 million (£87m) to land their target. The same report also stated we have shown interest in the player.
If so, we have been boosted by a recent interview from Dayot Upamecano, where he has named Manchester United as one of the clubs he’s dreamed of playing for. The RB Leipzig regular told French outlet Telefoot:
“As a youngster, you dream of Real Madrid, Barcelona, Manchester United, but to get there, you have to work.
“I’m very proud of myself, very happy. I have to keep going in the same direction.
“I have to aim higher. My preference for the moment is Leipzig. Afterwards, we’ll see.”
Dayot Upamecano has started 22 Bundesliga games for RB Leipzig this season, making a further two appearances from the substitutes bench.
- Jadon Sancho reunion would be appealing for Borussia Dortmund but there are reservations
- Manchester United to assess fitness of three players ahead of their Premier League clash with Crystal Palace
- Daley Blind sends warning to Man Utd midfielder Donny van de Beek
- Man United plan contract talks for rising star Hannibal Mejbri
- Sofyan Amrabat only wanted Man Utd this summer, eyes permanent stay
- Roy Keane sends message to Jadon Sancho after Man Utd exile
- Manchester United’s under-21s suffer 8-1 thrashing against Bolton Wanderers
- Man Utd have fresh solution at left-back with Sofyan Amrabat
- Alejandro Garnacho reacts to Hannibal Mejbri’s performance against Crystal Palace
- Casemiro delivers masterclass performance against Crystal Palace in Carabao Cup