Manchester United are at home to Watford for the final game of the 2017-18 Premier League season this afternoon.
With second place already wrapped up and the FA Cup final against Chelsea at Wembley Stadium next Saturday, Jose Mourinho has already confirmed that he will be heavily rotating his squad against Watford.
On Thursday the boss confirmed that Sergio Romero will be making his first Premier League appearance of the season as David de Gea will be given a rest after securing the Golden Glove award in our 0-0 draw at West Ham United on Thursday night.
The 31-year-old Argentine goalkeeper is mostly used in the cups and back in January the Independent reported that he was seeking a move away from Old Trafford then. Although that was with the 2018 World Cup in mind, Romero could certainly be looking for an exit this summer as he knows he has no chance of displacing David de Gea as our number one.
Jose also confirmed that Daley Blind will start today’s game. Luke Shaw was rotated in on Thursday so the Dutch international may come in at left-back rather than centre-back or midfield where he has played for us as well previously.
Blind has been linked with a move to Barcelona previously and given that he’ll be making only his fourth Premier League start of the season this afternoon there’s a good chance the 28-year-old will be on his way over the summer, whether it’s to the Spanish La Liga giants or not. The boss is widely-expected to sign a left-back this summer too so he’ll likely free up space beforehand with the sale of a player or two in this position. Marcos Rojo only recently signed a three-year contract extension.
Luke Shaw got a start on Thursday and with Ashley Young expected to start the FA Cup final at left-back, the 22-year-old could feature today. His future at Manchester United has been in question for more than 18 months now with Jose Mourinho seemingly not keen on the former-Southampton man. The fact that Young starts ahead of Shaw isn’t good news for the England international so don’t be surprised if we cash in on Luke Shaw this summer.
Michael Carrick is another confirmed starter and is retiring over the summer so the 36-year-old will definitely be making his final Premier League appearance for us today. Expect a great reception from the crowd for the long-serving midfielder.
There has been lots of speculation in recent months that Anthony Martial could be on his way before the start of next season. The 22-year-old hasn’t been a regular fixture in the first team, particularly following the signing of Alexis Sanchez in January, having already had competition from Marcus Rashford out on the left wing.
Jose Mourinho said last month that he would not get in the way of Martial should he want to leave Manchester United this summer. Juventus have been strongly linked with the French international who was signed by Louis van Gaal.
Whilst the boss has confirmed Martial will start this one, Matteo Darmian‘s name wasn’t mentioned. The Italian international could come in for Antonio Valencia to give the club captain a rest before the FA Cup final. It would be only the fourth Premier League start of the season for the 28-year-old who has been strongly linked with a move to Juventus ahead of the summer transfer window.
Marouane Fellaini won’t feature today as he is injured, but with his contract winding down and no signs of putting pen to paper over a new deal we can expect the Belgian international to leave this summer too.
- Preview: Burnley vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Burnley boss Vincent Kompany lauds ‘extremely capable’ Erik ten Hag ahead of Man Utd clash
- Kie Plumley announces he has joined Manchester United
- Erik ten Hag should start Alejandro Garnacho vs Burnley after lively cameo
- Man Utd midfielder Christian Eriksen delivers frustrating display vs Bayern
- Manchester United goalkeeper Andre Onana owns up to his catastrophic error against Bayern Munich
- Bayern Munich 4-3 Manchester United: Player ratings as Andre Onana and Christian Eriksen disappoint massively
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bayern Munich, Pellistri starts
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe and Sheikh Jassim reluctant to raise their bids for Manchester United following their poor start to 2023-24
- ‘Would have signed anything’: Brazilian midfielder reveals chat with Sir Alex Ferguson convinced him to join Man Utd