The winter transfer window closed three weeks ago and now Manchester United are being linked with a move for a number of players over the summer transfer window.
Despite the arrival of Alexis Sanchez from Premier League rivals Arsenal in January, allowing Jose Mourinho to push Marcus Rashford or Anthony Martial back into the striker role, we are being linked to signing another striker.
Romelu Lukaku has faced a lot of criticism this season despite scoring 23 goals in 42 games in all competitions this season, including a fine brace in our 2-0 win at Huddersfield Town in the FA Cup on Saturday.
One player who could make a move to Old Trafford in the summer is RB Leipzig striker Timo Werner. The German international has admitted he wouldn’t say no to a move to Manchester United should Jose Mourinho come calling.
The 21-year-old has been linked to us in the past, as well as Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Manchester City, Chelsea and Arsenal. And Werner told German outlet Sport1 that he’d be open to a move to any of the aforementioned footballing giants. He said:
“If you take Germany, it would be a lie to say that you would not like to play for Bayern. It would be a lie to say in England you’d not like to play for Manchester United or Manchester City.
“Spain – Barca or Real. There are great clubs in every league. Italy or France would not be my leagues, but the other three. There are so many clubs you’d like to play for. I don’t want to tie myself down. I’ll see what happens.”
Timo Werner is having a second excellent season in the German Bundesliga with RB Leipzig, scoring 10 goals in 21 appearances (19 starts) and a further three goals in six Champions League group stage matches (4 starts) this season. The former-VfB Stuttgart youngster scored 21 goals in the German top flight to help RB Leipzig to a surprise second place finish last season.
Whether Mourinho will want to make a move for the highly-rated striker remains to be seen, especially as we already have Lukaku, Sanchez, Rashford and Martial on our books. What’s more, the Metro believe Werner is valued at £50 million, which seems a bit excessive for a player who would face stiff competition to hold down a regular place in our starting lineup.
- Man Utd handed big boost as Juventus lower price tag for Dusan Vlahovic
- Man Utd in pole position in Kim Min-jae race but PSG could explore deal for him
- ‘Above all’: Man Utd leading race to sign Rasmus Hojlund, need to make ‘big offer’
- Man Utd provide ‘strong competition’ in race to sign AZ Alkmaar forward Jesper Karlsson
- Man Utd boss ten Hag deems Victor Lindelof ‘untouchable’
- PSG president Nasser Al-Khelaifi playing significant role in Manchester United takeover bid
- Stats show why Kim Min-jae is the perfect signing for Man Utd over Axel Disasi
- Sheikh Jassim will not end interest in Manchester United if Friday deadline passes
- Manchester United finalising proposal to sign Porto goalkeeper Diogo Costa
- Man Utd linked with Juventus star Federico Chiesa who could be sold for €30-35m