Manchester United host Championship promotion hopefuls Derby County at Old Trafford in the third round of this season’s FA Cup this evening.
Jose Mourinho has already said he’ll name a strong lineup to take on the Rams whilst the opposition manager Gary Rowett has said he’ll make a couple of rotations with promotion in mind.
Here’s how I think Derby County will lineup this evening:
Goalkeeper: Scott Carson
Despite Jonahthan Mitchell playing in the EFL Cup this season I think we’ll see Gary Rowett sticking with the experienced Scott Carson in goal.
Defence: Andre Wisdom, Richard Keogh, Curtis Davies, Marcus Olsson
35-year-old Chris Baird has become the first-choice right-back at Derby this season but having played regularly over the busy Christmas period I think the former-Southampton man will get a rest this evening. The terrible Andre Wisdom should get another chance which would be great news for Manchester United. Curtis Davies and Richard Keogh have formed a formidable partnership and despite Jason Shackell returning to full fitness of late I think the experienced duo will start the FA Cup tie too. Marcus Olsson could come in for Craig Forsyth at left-back as the manager has said he’ll make a couple of rotations.
Midfield: Tom Huddlestone, Bradley Johnson; Andreas Weimann, Matej Vydra, Johnny Russell
Derby have a lot of options in midfield but with Joe Ledley injured I think we’ll see Bradley Johnson starting alongside former-England international Tom Huddlestone in front of the back four. Johnny Russell has probably earned a start at Old Trafford with his recent displays but I don’t see the Scotland international being a threat. Former-United youngster Tom Lawrence may not have recovered in time to start. Likewise, Andreas Weimann hasn’t proven to be a goalscorer against top teams. Matej Vydra was woeful for West Brom in the top flight previously but has found his goalscoring form once again this season, playing behind the striker. Half of his goals have come from the penalty spot though.
Striker: David Nugent
Remember this name? David Nugent is still only 32 years old and is doing a decent job up front for Derby County this season but with a lack of pace I don’t see hit causing any threat to our defence this evening. Darren Bent has recently return from a lengthy layoff to the reserve team but is unlikely to feature at Old Trafford. Chris Martin is predominately used as a substitute under Gary Rowett.
Here’s the Derby team on paper:
- Erik ten Hag can finally unleash his best attack against Galatasaray tonight
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Galatasaray, Hannibal Mejbri returns
- Why Man Utd should sign Antonio Silva instead of Jean-Clair Todibo
- David de Gea sends message to Manchester United defender Lisandro Martinez as Argentine is ruled out for months
- Man Utd missing eight players for Galatasaray clash as Lisandro Martinez’s surgery is confirmed
- Boost for Man Utd with Hakim Ziyech missing from Galatasaray’s travelling squad
- Kobbie Mainoo returns to Manchester United training after picking up injury in pre-season
- Dermot Gallagher: Officials made right decision not to award Manchester United penalty against Crystal Palace after ball struck Joel Ward’s arm
- Erik ten Hag confirms Antony will be in consideration for Galatasaray clash
- Three goals in last four meetings – Man Utd must be wary of Wilfried Zaha threat on Tuesday