Manchester United are expected to be busy during this summer’s transfer window and we’ve already confirmed the signing of Fred from Shakhtar Donetsk, with FC Porto’s Diogo Dalot expected to follow shortly.
Another position that Jose Mourinho is expected to strengthen is at centre-back.
Last summer’s big signing in this position, Victor Lindelof, largely failed to settle into the Premier League. The boss certainly wants to upgrade on Chris Smalling and Phil Jones, who were regulars in the starting XI this past season following a long-term injury to Eric Bailly.
It looks as though we’ve had our eyes on Tottenham Hotspur’s Toby Alderweireld for a while now and, if true, Jose will have been alerted by news coming from the Telegraph today that the Belgian international has hinted at a move away from North London.
The report claims that we are looking to lure the 29-year-old in a £55 million deal this summer.
Alderweireld has been one of the best defenders in the Premier League over the past three seasons though did only make 13 starts this past season due to injuries and the form of Davinson Sanchez.
The centre-back is in the final 12 months of his current deal at Spurs, although the club do have the option to extend it by a further year. However, a clause in his contract means he could leave next summer for just £25 million.
This means Spurs could be forced to cash in on their star over the summer whilst they can still command a sizeable fee for the defender. With Jan Vertonghen and Sanchez already on the books one has to expect Daniel Levy and co will sell this summer.
What’s more, Toby Alderweireld has hinted that he is ready for a new challenge, though he admits the final decision is with the club.
The Telegraph have quoted Alderweireld as saying:
“I have another two years [on my] contract. Tottenham decides about my future. Of course, I have my own idea. But that is not the case now. The past season was tough. But I’m glad that I could play the last four matches. That means that I am ready for the World Cup.”
We shall have to wait and see how things develop over the coming days and weeks but I think Toby Alderweireld would be an excellent signing should we be able to agree a deal.
He is part of the Belgium squad for this summer’s World Cup in which he is expected to be a starter.
- Preview: Burnley vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Burnley boss Vincent Kompany lauds ‘extremely capable’ Erik ten Hag ahead of Man Utd clash
- Kie Plumley announces he has joined Manchester United
- Erik ten Hag should start Alejandro Garnacho vs Burnley after lively cameo
- Man Utd midfielder Christian Eriksen delivers frustrating display vs Bayern
- Manchester United goalkeeper Andre Onana owns up to his catastrophic error against Bayern Munich
- Bayern Munich 4-3 Manchester United: Player ratings as Andre Onana and Christian Eriksen disappoint massively
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bayern Munich, Pellistri starts
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe and Sheikh Jassim reluctant to raise their bids for Manchester United following their poor start to 2023-24
- ‘Would have signed anything’: Brazilian midfielder reveals chat with Sir Alex Ferguson convinced him to join Man Utd