Manchester United have had an impressive 2022/23 campaign under manager Erik ten Hag and they are currently in pole position to finish in the Premier League top four.
Despite this, there is a sense of uncertainty heading into the summer due to the ownership situation.
The Glazers initiated the sale process back on November 22. 164 days have since passed but there is still confusion whether the club’s owners have any intention to sell.
Sheikh Jassim and Sir Jim Ratcliffe have made three separate bids to takeover the club but the Glazers continue to test their patience with their slow decision-making.
The club’s faithful are growingly frustrated with the situation and in our opinion, Ten hag is facing something similar with the uncertainty over the summer budget.
The Dutch tactician would have preferred a top-class striker in January after parting ways with Cristiano Ronaldo but the club eventually chose to pursue Wout Weghorst on loan.
While it was reported that United were close to the Financial Fair Play spending limit, the Glazers were obviously unlikely to spend after entering talks over a proposed sale.
We are now not far away from the summer transfer window and the Glazers must make their stance clear soon with rival clubs already accelerating talks with their main targets.
Ten Hag needs more clarity over the funds available at the end of the campaign. The Red Devils require a marquee striker and they may have to break their transfer record to sign one.
On top of this, a young central midfielder should be another top priority. A modern goalkeeper and another right-back could also be pursued based on the manager’s recommendation.
Despite a woeful away record against top-nine opposition (seven losses and one draw), United continue to be in a strong position to qualify for next season’s Champions League.
However, this is a clear sign that United need more quality in the squad. Ten Hag has to be backed with another spending spree in order to make the club tougher to beat on their travels.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- 3 goals in last 4 meetings – Man Utd must be wary of Wilfried Zaha threat on Tuesday
- Barcelona manager Xavi picks Marcus Rashford as one of the most difficult players to stop
- Man Utd suffer big blow with Lisandro Martinez requiring fresh metatarsal surgery
- Man Utd interested in Bayern Munich centre-back Matthijs de Ligt
- Alejandro Garnacho should start against Galatasaray in the Champions League
- Erik ten Hag speaks on Marcus Rashford’s form after Crystal Palace loss
- Manchester United 0-1 Crystal Palace: Player ratings as the Red Devils suffer second successive Old Trafford loss in Premier League
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund starts
- Lisandro Martinez may require second foot surgery, could be out until December
- Antony pictured arriving at Carrington after Man United approved return