Manchester United have been linked to a number of players this month with Arsenal’s Alexis Sanchez seen as a real possible signing.
Whilst the Chilean has been the talk of the town, the return of Cristiano Ronaldo from Real Madrid should not be ruled out either.
The Portuguese superstar has continually been linked with a move back to Old Trafford over the past few years following Barcelona’s dominance in La Liga over recent years.
United boss Jose Mourinho has worked with Ronaldo previously at the Santiago Bernabeu Stadium so a reunion should not be ruled out.
What’s more, Sky Sports’ Spanish expert Guillem Balague has now been quoted as saying that the forward wants to leave Real Madrid and that the world football giants are willing to let him go.
“Ronaldo’s message is he wants to leave, and it appears Real Madrid will be willing to let him go.
“However, Real would love to see a fight between PSG and Manchester United, but the situation is more complicated than simply being interested in the player.
“To add to a net annual salary demand of around £44m, Real would also demand around £89m for Ronaldo, which is an almighty expense for a player who would arrive aged 33.
“Here’s United’s conundrum: the club cannot show a lack of interest if it is confirmed that Ronaldo is on the market. But the huge amount of money his transfer would demand cannot be justified.”
The Spanish journalist is certainly correct that the £89 million transfer fee that Real Madrid are asking for cannot be justified for a player who turns 33 next month.
Cristiano Ronaldo appears to have slowed down this season and the Premier League is certainly a much more gruelling league than La Liga. What’s more, the Portuguese forward plays out on the left wing which would limit the opportunities for youngsters Marcus Rashford (20) and Anthony Martial (22) next season should we re-sign the superstar.
The Real Madrid forward has scored 15 goals in all competitions so far this season which includes nine in six Champions League group stage matches.
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe now seriously considering buying minority Manchester United stake
- Erik ten Hag can finally unleash his best attack against Galatasaray tonight
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Galatasaray, Hannibal Mejbri returns
- Why Man Utd should sign Antonio Silva instead of Jean-Clair Todibo
- David de Gea sends message to Manchester United defender Lisandro Martinez as Argentine is ruled out for months
- Man Utd missing eight players for Galatasaray clash as Lisandro Martinez’s surgery is confirmed
- Boost for Man Utd with Hakim Ziyech missing from Galatasaray’s travelling squad
- Kobbie Mainoo returns to Manchester United training after picking up injury in pre-season
- Dermot Gallagher: Officials made right decision not to award Manchester United penalty against Crystal Palace after ball struck Joel Ward’s arm
- Erik ten Hag confirms Antony will be in consideration for Galatasaray clash